Happy Holidays


Happy Holidays! I thought I was clever when I posted a Facebook status about how it's the night before Christmas and we're all on Twitter and Snapchat and Facebook and other social media platform. Then I mindlessly browsed my news feed, until I saw that a friend shared this TedxMiddlebury talk, and it made me cry. Spoken poetry can be so powerful. Rachel is a fellow traveling with my study abroad program to ensure the students' health and well-being. In our phone conversation on Monday, she asked if I had any fears or concerns and personal goals for the program. I told her I worry/think about my role and privilege and position in relation to the people I will meet in these countries and how my role influences them. I worry about exploiting them for the benefit of my own studies. I worry that I get to see what other people live through, but have the privilege to leave that behind when a program/visit ends. I want to leave a careful and loving mark on this world, not perpetuate its violence.

I know the video is 18 minutes, but hopefully you're home enjoying the holidays and can find the time to watch it; it is truly beautiful that we are nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mic Check!

Systemic Violence

Collective Solidarity vs. Individual Comfort